Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Texan in Madrid

We made it! We landed around 8:00 am after a nice long slightly sleepless flight. Ashley and I got a few hours in here and there between being woken up by being uncomfortable. Our breakfast was yummy. Little ham and cheese croissants, pineapple juice, a little muffin, a tropical fruit cup and coffee. We wanted to take the Iberia blanket, but we weren't supposed to.

Already in the airport we've seen groups from Venezuela and Monterrey, Mexico. The Mexicans had green shirts, full size sombreros and a huge flag. It's interesting to reflect on how every place is going to have it's identity. As Texans, (note, not really Americans) we are hamming up the howdy, our cowboy hats and our Texas flags. I think to some extent all of the people here are going to be more proud of their country (or state) than they ever have been at home. I've always been proud to be a Texan, but it's going to be taken to a new level here when that's the first thing people want to know about you. It's probably going to be more of my identity than I realized. Manners, greetings, warmth, gratitude and hospitality make Texas proud, so I hope I can exhibit these qualities here and help others realize we are more than cowboys and breakfast tacos.

fbt&<3

Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment