Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Saying Adios

Saying goodbye is really hard. We left Malaga this morning with full stomachs, warm hugs and happy hearts all while trying to hold back tears. (and failing miserably) You might think it's strange, but everyone got so close and comfortable with our families that we were all crying when we left Malaga. Ashley and I said goodbye to Ester (we thought it was Estelle!) and the kiddos this morning after one more good breakfast, a good shower and a strong cup of espresso. Angel (age9) gave us pictures that he drew for us and we took some family pictures. We got to mass really late, but we were there to listen to the communion songs. We teared up more when we realized we were singing "One Bread, One Body". It may have been the lyrics, or just hearing a familiar tune, that it felt like home.

"One Bread, One body, one Lord of all. One cup of blesssing which we bless. And we, though many, throughout the earth, we are One body in this one Lord."

We are both contagious criers, so we kept telling each other to stop it. :)

During mass, our coordinator made some announcements and we thanked our host families. I cant even describe the huge amount of sacrificial love that we experienced in a matter of days. What was amazing to hear was that the families were thanking us for allowing them to be Christ to us. Wow. If we were not already crying, we all felt tons of emotions at that comment. We said our goodbyes and Teto told us that the reason that Ester didn't drop us off was because she's super emotional and didn't want to break down. I'm sure if she was there we all would have bawled like babies. She is such a sweetie. (muy amable)

It is such a powerful feeling to accept such hospitality. I've been reflecting on how this community just opened their homes and their hearts to us pilgrims and took such good care of us. They fed us so well, if not too much, and made sure we had a great time. They were so accommodating and kind. I felt loved from the start -- before they even knew me. It's such a parallel to how we should be to our fellow man.

I hope that I can someday return the favor, or pay it forward. I am going to miss my host family! Ashley and I are convinced that we got the best family! Both Teto and Ester were so animated, goofy and hysterical. We had such a good time getting to know each other and sharing stories and showing pictures. I got their address so I can send them Texas postcards.

Now we are on the bus back to Madrid. We anticipate traffic, as many pilgrims will be traveling today. I'm not sure what to expect tonight, but I think we are staying in a school.

Goodbye Malaga! I hope I can come back someday. The real pilgrimage begins today. No more privacy, hospitality or feasting. I'll need to tolerate more. It will be hotter. It will be crowded. I'm not sure how to prepare for this, so I'll have to keep the faith. Luckily, I have plenty of that (and am actively working on more).

A Madrid!

fbt&<3

Sabrina

1 comment:

  1. Me encanta Malaga! Did you have mass in the huge, beautiful cathedral at the center of town? See any Picassos? :)
    I remember the strange people on the beach, too. Mostly old Brits and Germans when we were there...ew!! ;)

    ReplyDelete