Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Choosing Wisely

World Youth Day might be for the young at heart, but it's not for the weak. We have already had a number of people in our group be sick or get hurt. Last night was the Opening Mass with the Cardinal of the Archdiocese of Madrid. Think Catholic mosh pit for a mile. Everyone was pushing and smashing up on people. It was pretty intense. Ashley and I had to evacuate through some Germans, more Italians (they are everywhere!) and some people from Africa. I heard later that a few people had fainted. It was chaos!

You have to choose very wisely. While I would love to be drinking wine around the clock, I know I would be hurting myself the next day. We are woken up at 7am by music and Father Eddie talking. They played songs like Ghostbusters and Eye of the Tiger. We get to bed around 1am if we are lucky, usually 1:30am. We take showers that are ice cold and can't even stand it long enough to properly wash he conditioner out of our hair! We walk in the heat, all
over, with stuffed backpacks and sweat. Have I mentioned that I love it all? It's strengthening to suffer a bit. it's comforting to know that you're not alone. Plus, we know it's only temporary. Before long we'll realize we're home and it is all over. "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."

Therefore, we've been having to take special care of our bodies. I try to stretch at night and we try to pick healthy foods. We have meal tickets that get us meals at marked restaurants around town. We just had a great meal -- a tuna sandwich on fresh grain bread, an orange juice with Matcha and a rooibos tea. Yum! Our breakfasts have been more meager than we were used to -- a chocolate filled croissant, orange juice box and Cola Cao, like Yoohoo. My multivitamin and Emergen-C packets are probably he only things keeping me moving after being exhausted. That and cafe con leche. :)

Stay hydrated!

fbt&<3

Sabrina

No comments:

Post a Comment