Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Preparation Retreat

This past Saturday Ashley and I went to San Antonio for a half-day retreat with the other pilgrims. We were able to meet a number of the 86 people that we will be hanging out with on our travels. We're going in 3 groups to get over there, and we'll meet up in Malaga for Days in the Diocese.

Everyone in the group is really nice. I find that I'm one of the "older youth" as many of the pilgrims are late high school or early college. We got to know each other and had some discussions on what we're excited about (seeing the Pope, meeting new people, eating Spanish food, wine/coffee, adoration, etc) and what we're concerned about (losing passport, getting lost, exhaustion). We also reflected on some of our roots and what has lead us this far in life (family, Catholic upbringing, Awakenings, Catholic20somethings). The main theme of WYD is "Planted and Built up in Jesus Christ, Firm in the Faith", so it is important to understand that our strong roots and constant growth make us strong no matter what storms come along. I know that this trip is going to change me -- for the better. I will get to practice patience, tolerance, my faith and be pushed to the limit. I will get to see some amazing sights, places, buildings, and experience history -- both from the past and history in the making.

As I continue to scour the WYD website, I have found out some fun things about what we're getting! Check out this backpack full of goodies.


This is what's inside:
-    A gospel
-    A pilgrim’s book (so you can follow along in the liturgical ceremonies)
-    The WYD guide (with the program and useful information for the WYD participants)
-    The Liturgical and Cultural Agenda (with more than 300 cultural events & catechesis)
-    The YouCat Catechism
-    The WYD T-shirt
-    A hat to shield you from the August sun
-    A fan
-    A rosary
-    A map of the city of Madrid

In Malaga, I found out that we'll be working with  Parroquia San Fernando. There are a few groups starting up on Facebook that are giving us a little more information here and there about the details.

12 day countdown! I'm getting very excited.

Please send me your prayer intentions! Mail them to sabrinalovesspain@gmail.com

God bless!

fbt&<3

No comments:

Post a Comment