Friday, July 15, 2011

Flashback time II

Monday, May 16, 2005



¡como estan pinches!
Today was the first day of clases, and they were pretty cool. I have to listen to Spanish intently for 4 hours in a classroom, but like I said, it´s not that bad. Today we went to the market and I got some fruit and my friends got some wine. It was only 2 euro, which is less than 3 bucks for a bottle of nice wine. they don't really have bad wine here. goodbye Boones farm!! Hello vino de espana. They also have really cheap expresso and lattes. Like a buck, and they are really good. people here just love to stroll around the streets and drink doffee and alcohol on the patios. it's really nice. I got to get some souveniers, but not as many as I want. I want to buy a nice pair of RED high heeled shoes (the rave over here is high heeled shoes) and I fell in love with this authentic Brazilian skirt from his hippie store, but it was 50 euro. It might just have to my splurge. We've just walked around this city over and over and I'm still trying to get used to the time change. there is abar right on the campus, which is an old bullfighting ring that was turned into clasrooms and condos. We went there last night and as students for the first day we got free calimocho which is cocacola and wine. It was pretty good. you might just have to trust me on that one. I think we are going to go enjoy a glass of wine across the street now. I have made some friends and they are pretty cool. there are just as many bars/cafes as churches here. And lots of shopping. I could tell you guys so much more, but I can't think right now. You people better tell me what's going on, and eat lots of american food for me. I miss cheese. Spain is just like Mexico, only European style. 


Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Life goes soo slow here. After siesta (from 2 till 5ish) I have nothing to do until dinner at 9:30. We've been going shopping, and that's proved to be really dangerous. I fell in love with this black skirt that's about 55 bucks. Grrr. I also want to buy a pair of hot shoes. This is going to be tough. We learned a lot about wine and beer today in my conversation class. I think it's very important information. I already am halfway through my second and only other book that I brought. I think a couple of the girls are going to pass around books to read. I wish I had all 5 HP books because I would read them all over again. Abbey--that Zippy book is soo funny. I laugh out loud so much. Everyone please go out and eat good American food for me! Last night we had this green bean, egg and shrimp stuff, fried cheese or potatoes (we couldn't figure it out), fried stuffed crab, and some fried empanada thing with something inside. Pineapple Yogurt. There are some students here from Minnesota and they talk so cool. They think we talk cool also. hehehe. I don't have anything else to say except that time is going slow so far. I am going on an excursion to Burgos this weekend with the universidad. I'm not sure what to expect, but we're going to travel around to 3 different places while I'm here. I hope everyone's having a good summer so far.


And I finally got to a computer once again. I got my address up here, in case you guys come to Spain and need to find me, or something.


Sabrina Vega
R. "Universitas Castallae"
C/ Alonso Pesquera, 6
42002 Valladolid, Espana


Today is national museum day or something here in Valladolid and all of them are free! I went to the contemporaty art museum and looked at a lot of artwork. Some of it was not impressive, but I really liked the abstact and cubism paintings. Maybe this summer in my free time I can redo some of the pieces that I wasn't as fond of. It was inspiring and it made me realize how universal art can be. Right by the school is a river (pretty funny, huh?) except that people don't swim in it. Our teacher told us the universal rule: if the locals don't do it, you shouldn't either. They have made a beach out of it, so there is sand and volleyball and stuff. My friend and I are going to go jogging today. They eat so much bread here!! French bread at every meal. I am really enjoying the siestas. Nap everyday!


Okay, so I have decided to teach you guys some Spanish. Here are the interesting words that I learned today.
ronronear = to purr (like a cat)
maullar = to meow
guay ("why") = cool ( "tu carro es quay!")
chupita = shot or shotglass
More tomorrow. (Mas manaña)


Today for lunch we had some pork or beef meat with pineapple and carrots, and some sort of crab, olive, and egg, and other thing salad with mayo. There was also fresh watermelon (sandia), apples, oranges, and pears. They serve only water with every meal, and of course, french bread and butter. we also had small baked potatoes.
Hope everyone is having fun doing American things.


Love you all!


Friday, May 20, 2005

TGIF!
One week almost down, four to go. This entry to going to be random things that I have done in the past few days.


--in my conversation class we went to this pastry shop to look at a candy museum that has all these replicas of famous buildings and churches in Valladolid all made out of SUGAR. They were fabulous, accurate. detailed, and beautiful. Then a girl and I split some kind of pastry. No brownies here, but the pastries are good. I met a bartender who told me his favorite thing about America was brownies. Appreciate what you have people.


--every Thursday night (jueves) they show us films from Spain. Last night's was a film called El Bola. It was really good. Kinda a drama. In Europe, their movies aren't as categorized as America. (comedy, drama, etc) but have everything in one. The movie was about domestic violence, and was sort of a coming of age movie. If you get a chance to rent it, it was made in Spain and came out in 2001. VERY GOOD. I recommend it. Subtitles are cool.


--we had hamburgers for dinner last night! small meat, but it was very close to a real hamburger. we were all really excited. There was also some sweet potatoe soup, we think. Food here is like an experiment every time. We will usually try it and try to figure out what it is. It's a fun game.


--tomorrow I am going on an excursion to Burgos. I know that they have a huge cathedral there, but other than that, I don't know what there is there.


--yesterday I went to the beach they have here for a jog and to explore and just in case you don't believe other people, I saw firsthand that people here tan topless, and in thongs. While that might seem cool to some of you men, there were many large and old people here (Pangia sized) who should not have been wearing thongs. There was an old couple too and grandpa was in a speedo and grandma was in just a thong. yes. soo all those thoughts you may have had of hot girls, should now be canceled out by the thoughts you are now having of old clumpy people laying in the sun.


--onto good news, i got some more $$ to help pay for school and Daniel got into the SRT program at school, yay!


--Saturday is Tiffany's birthday!! Yay! Happy birthday Tiff, i miss you lots!!


--Matt is cool because he took out the trash and is going to mow the lawn for me. What a man. hehehe i miss him lots.


--people are now telling me that I'm a computer nerd and I've been here too long. HAHA they are just now figuring it out


--has anyone seen Star Wars yet?? let me know how it is. Some people here are going to see it here in Spanish , but I need my Ewan McGregor voice, ya know??


--is it Harry Potter 6 time yet??


Talk laters. I've got to go learn some Spanish or something.












Sunday, May 22, 2005

Ahh, the tranquility (sp?) of Sunday.


Today was the first day that I got to sleep in since I've been here. I slept until about 11:30. I had gone to bed really late the night before since we went out dancing. It was soo much fun. There were playing a lot of Spanish pop music, but also techno, some latin sounding tunes, and some old American dance favs like I've got the Power and I like to Move it move it, or whatever they are called. Those are songs you might find on an 80s or 90s dance party mix. Anyone know what I'm talking about?


Misty sent me an email with all these questions, and since I sent her such an informative reply, I'm going to copy and paste it on here, since it has many details I have not said as of yet on here.


Yes, I am having a blast! We went out last night to a bar and dancing and stayed out till 5:30 in the morning. It was nuts. People here don't go out until 1 or so, and the clubs are dead empty until 2, and are hopping at 3 or 3:30. I have to drink 'cafe con leche' (expresso and milk, think latte) in order to stay up and on my feet that long. the scenery is breathtaking. Iron balconies on the apartments and renaissance churches everywhere. It's like walking into a history book. I am going to be here in Valladolid for 4 more weeks and then I am going to travel around Europe with a friend from high school who is meeting me up here. He's the one who lives in Boston. He's been to Paris a bunch of times, because he worked in Switzerland one summer. We're going there for sure, and then maybe to Switz or Germany or back to Spain. This thing I like the best here besides all the scenery and culture is the fact that it's a great life. I don't have to cook my food, no work, no housework, just school for 4 hours a day, and then shopping, tanning, and sleeping. Oh, and going out almost every night. Also the wine is cheap. It's .90 to 1.50 € for a glass of wine, and that's only like a buck or 2 bucks. The wine here is sooo good. A lot of the boys are cute here, but no more than the US. Hit or miss, as they say. Here they are just different by their hairstyle (80s and mullets are back!) and dress (nicer, and more trendy). They usually won't come up and talk to you, but when they do, they are usually just interested to know why you're here, because no matter what we do, we are obviously American. The people here are defiantly not nearly as nice as they are in TX. I would immediately describe them as rude. There is no customer service in stores, it's just whatever. they won't look at you in the streets or smile or say hi. This city is pretty introverted, usually, and they are really into fashion and having the best and latest this and that, Almost snobby in a way. The weather here is nice, dry and kinda cold for this time of the year. Average is about 40 to 50 at night and in the morning and between 70 and 80 for the high. This cold front is rare for Spain in May, so most of us weren't prepared for the cold. There is no AC here, so I'm glad it's not too too hot. People do tan nude here, and sometimes it's really gross.


Let's see, what else? The weekend here was a lot of fun. While a lot of the people go out everything, I am definitely going to only go out-out on the weekends. Some weeknights it's nice to go to a nearby cafe bar and enjoy a glass of wine before bed. I don't get a lot of homework, but today I am going to go over all my irregular verbs for the preterite, and make a list. I am also working on a list of vocab that I learn each week and will hopefully be able to add to it every week. I love the siestas!


BURGOS! The excursion to Burgos was beautiful. About 1.5 hours away to the north east is a city called Burgoes. We went up there for the day on Saturday and toured some old tombs in some church, the beautiful late'gothic cathedral (omg so detailed and breathtaking) and an old castille (castle grounds) that had a beautiful view of the city and the catherdral, red tiled roofs and countryside with farmlands and mountains in the distance. It also was an awful climb to the top of that (we were trying to sing the Rocky theme song as we jogged upwards, but then we got tired and it slowed down tremendously. The city was also having a medieval festival and it was neat to look at all the booths. There was a food booth with the meat being roasted whole, so you could see the pigs on stakes by the fire. They were selling old cheeses (stinky), fresh flavored teas, insense, jewelery, pastries etc. There was also this tent with exotic birds: harks, vultures and owls that would fly between trainers for fresh meat. There was a snowy white owl, and I took a picture of it. I think it was Hedwig. :) People like to dress up in Spain a lot for these festivals, and wear elaborate costumes from medieval times. It was neat to look around. I am getting hungry. I'm glad food is soon. I hope people are reading and enjoying this! have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment