Thursday, July 14, 2011

Flashback time

As I prepare to go back to Spain, I'm reflecting on the times when I've been to Europe, especially when I studied for 5 weeks in Valladolid in May of 2005. I found my old blog and want to paste my old entires here for old time's sake. Now, please note these were written when I was a senior in college, I was 22, in serious relationship (that ended 2 weeks after I got returned). I find it entertaining to see how I have grown, and how I saw Europe for the first time in my life.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Well here is my first entry! I'm not even there yet, but I figure a countdown till I leave would be fun. I leave in one week. I have so much to do before I go, I really hope I can get it all done. While I'm in Spain I will have access to the internet and will hope to update this as often as I can. I will also have an additional email account, but I haven't picked one yet.






Saturday, May 07, 2005

My email in Spain is going to be SabsinSpain@hotmail.com
Give me an email so I can add you to my contacts!
*
Sunday, May 08, 2005

Crap! I'm going to Houston on Tuesday, and I still have a lot of housework and packing to do. I think since I am going to be in Houston for a couple days and then in Houston/Conroe for the 2 weeks afterwards, that I'm just going to take home a lot of crap and then decide later what's actually coming with me overseas. I'm for sure taking the following things: my iPod, my Winnie the Pooh, and my Spanish Dictionary. Those are the most important things. After that would be my digital camera, some extra clothes, and Matt. I wish he would fit in a suitcase. I also am going to cut my hair again before I go since it's been almost 5 months. My stylist also has been to Spain many times and I want to talk to him about it. Here is a link to the site about the university I am going to be at. Scroll to the bottom for the links to pages in English.   http://www.universitascastellae.es/esp%20main.htm
Here is a link to the promotional video for the school. It has english subtitles. It is huge, and use quicktime. http://media.modlang.txstate.edu/grajera.html
I'm going to be staying in a 16th century castle turned dorm. How cool is that! Mucho cool.










Saturday, May 14, 2005

Hey Everyone!  I am totally in Spain! the flight was good, I got to see the Phantom of the Opera, and eat yummy airplane food. We got to our dorms and they are sooo small. think small, and then cut that in half, and then cut that in half again. I don´t mind, at least I have my own room, and internet in the basement. I got no sleep on the plane and i´m off my 7 hours, so i´m exhausted. Some of the kids and I are going to wander until dinner which is served at 9:30. Miss some of yall already. Tell you more later. I gtg.


Okay, now I have a little more time to tell you about what´s going on. Sorry if the typing is bad, but the keyboards here are Spanish keyboards and they have cool things like ñ and ç but a lot of the punctuation are in the wrong spots. Anyways, I had 2 flights, one to Newark and then one to Spain. (about 3 and a half, and 6 and a half, respectively). Not too¨bad. The food was good, but I couldn´t sleep. I was going to go out tonight but I am really tired. Just so you know, there are about 25 of us who came from Texas State University, and 8 of us are in the dorms. We are really just meeting each other right now, so it´s fun being with people you hardly know. After we got to Madrid we had to wait in the airport forever to get our luggage, and then for 5 hours for the rest of the kids to finish arriving. Everyone got to choose their own flights since we are all coming from different parts of Texas and some people want to stay longer, and such. Then we took the 2 hourdrive to Valladolid, and it was pretty. I got to sleep a little on the bus. We got to the rooms and boy are they tiny. It has a bed, sink, mirror, a couple shelfs, a tiny desk and chair, and a closet with 4 or 5 hangers. Cute, old and clean. I´m glad that I brought pics of my mom and dad, Daniel and Jess, and a big framed one of me and Matt to put by my bed. I also brought my Winnie the Pooh, so it almost feels like home. Then a couple of us (2 guys and one other girl and me) went on a 2 hour walk around Valladolid. They got some beer, and we saw a bunch of architecture, churches and people. The people here like to get dressed nice and walk around town, almost parading. Old men and women walk around, as well as families and couples--dressed real trendy. I´ll probably have a 15 minute walk every day to and from school. Dinner was a lental bean soup with frnech bread, some fried potatoe balls and some small meat patties that kinda tasted like steak fingers. I had some yogurt too. Breakfast here is self serve pasties and coffee from 7 till 11:30, lunch at 2, and dinner at 9:30. It´s actually pretty chilly here, I wish I had an extra blanket. Some people are going out tonight, but I´m tired and would rather get caught up on my sleep than go out. Tomorrow our teacher is going to take us on a tour of Valladolid round 11, and then we have orientation at 5 at the school. I am exicted and nervous. So far I am doing fine on my Spanish. I like talking to people in Spanish. Nothing too interesting yet, but I´ll keep you peoples informed. Please let me know what you´re u¨p to! check out these cool things. ¿¡ÇÑ ¨ hehe weee!





No comments:

Post a Comment